Heading Logo

Woodridge edges Stow boys soccer in wild game

by Michael Leonard | Sports Editor Published: August 27, 2016 7:16 PM

There was sense of anticipation Aug. 27 at the Stow Soccer Stadium when the Stow-Munroe Falls boys soccer team welcomed Woodridge to town.

This battle of the Bulldogs lived up to the hype.

After taking an early lead and falling behind 3-2 in the second half, Woodridge scored twice in the final five minutes to pull out a 4-3 win over Stow.

Stow dropped to 0-2 on the season, while Woodridge moved to 2-0.

The game featured two teams who like to play offensive, possession-based soccer. Both teams routinely were going the full 100 yards on plays.

[Article continues below]

Woodridge got the first goal thanks to bit of bad fortune for Stow in the fifth minute.

Senior midfielder Caleb Whittaker ran along Stow's end line and put a cross into the six-yard box. Stow defender Nyigel Spann was there, but his header went into the Stow net for an own goal.

The match stayed at 1-0 until the 36th minute, thanks a hustle play by Stow's Aiden Banner. Banner was able to run down a long ball on the Woodridge end line and lose his defender. He then put a shot in from a tight angle, which went in to make it 1-1 at the half.

It was banner's first varsity goal, but he was just getting started.

So was Whittaker, who restored Woodridge's lead in the 52nd minute.

[Article continues below]

Whittaker swerved by three Stow defenders to get in the box and put his shot just beyond the reach of Stow goalie Andrew Herring. Spann attempted to clear the ball off the line, but referees ruled it crossed the goal line to make it 2-1.

Banner would answer three minutes later. When Stow senior Cam Casenhiser put in a cross into the box, Banner whipped his header into the net to make it 2-2.

Banner then earned a chance to complete his hat trick in the 65th minute, when he was fouled in the box. Banner took the penalty kick himself and placed it perfectly in the right corner of the net, beyond the reach of Woodridge keeper Sam Reaman.

However, in the 75th minute, Whittaker broke lose for a long run and sent a cross into the box. Stow could only make a weak clearance of the ball, which fell to Woodridge senor Alex Powell, who launched a rocket into right side of the Stow net to make it 3-3.

Woodridge completed the comeback in the 77th minute when junior Devin O'Laughlin ran in on the net. O'Laughlin's initial shot was saved by Herring, but O'Laughlin put the rebound home.

Woodridge finished with an 8-5 edge in shot on goal. Herring had four saves, while Reaman had three.

Stow will host Wadsworth Aug. 30 at 7 p.m., while Woodridge will travel to Streetsboro Sept. 1 at 5 p.m.

Email: mleonard@recordpub.com

Phone: 330-541-9442

Facebook: MLeonardRPC


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.