Heading Logo


Cooking fire damages garage

No injuries reported, according to city official

By STEVE WIANDT Reporter Published: July 16, 2017 12:00 AM

CUYAHOGA FALLS -- A fire caused a couple thousand dollars in damage to a garage after someone's barbecue got a little too hot, according to a city fire official.

City firefighters responded to a blaze in an attached garage at a residence in the 1700 block of Sedro Street on July 9 around 5:50 p.m. The residents there had been cooking on a grill inside the garage when "it got away from them," said Deputy Fire Marshal Tom Carano, adding no one was injured.

Upon arrival of the fire department, the residents had already extinguished the blaze and dragged a wood table outside, Carano said, noting the garage was open while grilling was going on. The table and a railing was damaged by fire, he said, while the garage interior and soffit under a gutter sustained heat and smoke damage.

Damage was estimated at $2,000 to $3,000, Carano said.

"It was not raining," Carano said. "They were just cooking in the garage and we informed them that probably wasn't the best idea."

[Article continues below]

Email: swiandt@recordpub.com

Phone: 330-541-9420

Twitter: @SteveWiandt_RPC


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.