Heading Logo


House fire started in kitchen; no one hurt

By STEVE WIANDT Reporter Published: June 2, 2017 4:06 PM

CUYAHOGA FALLS -- No one was injured in a house fire on Thursday, June 1, that started in the kitchen and filled the structure with smoke.

The fire department responded at 8:44 p.m. June 1 to the building fire in the 500 block of East Portage Trail. Upon arrival, crews saw heavy smoke coming from the front door and beginning to come out of the roof vents, according to the fire report.

Firefighters also found an occupant of the residence who had unsuccessfully tried to crawl under heat and smoke to rescue dogs. Fire Chief Paul Moledor said no one was home when the blaze started, but this person had returned to find it on fire and tried to go in to save the animals.

The occupant came back out of the house without the pet, Moledor said, adding the dogs had already gotten out of the burning house on their own and were safe. The chief said residents or firefighters were hurt. The last unit cleared the scene at 11:39 p.m., the report said.

The fire started in the kitchen, the report said, and estimated losses were $10,000 on the property and $10,000 on the contents. An investigation is ongoing by the city fire marshal, Moledor said.

[Article continues below]

Email: swiandt@recordpub.com

Phone: 330-541-9420

Twitter: @SteveWiandt_RPC


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.