- 1 of 2 Photos | View More Photos
On Jan. 25, Cuyahoga Falls Mayor Don Walters unveiled an art installation at Cuyahoga Falls City Hall entitled “Home Is Where The Art Is.”
Through the generosity of Western Reserve Hospital, works that were created by city residents are now on display for community viewing. The current selection of images is a sampling of artwork by distinguished artists from the Cuyahoga Valley Art Center that was produced from 1937 through 2008. The artwork is on loan to the city from the Cuyahoga Valley Art Center and is currently hung in City Hall along the south hallway near the Tax and Utility Billing Departments. Additional works are on display in the Mayor’s office and a frequently utilized conference room.
“It is an honor to be able to partner with Western Reserve Hospital and the local art community to bring these phenomenal pieces of art to City Hall that were made by our creative citizens. We are proud to showcase our local talent while highlighting our commitment to supporting the arts in our city,” stated Mayor Walters. “The collection has breathed new life into our building, and I am grateful to the Cuyahoga Valley Art Center for loaning us the artwork from their permanent collection for display.”
“We’ve always been committed to the community we call home, and working together to display art in city hall is one of the many fruits of our close partnership with Mayor Walters and the City of Cuyahoga Falls,” said Dr. Robert Kent, President and CEO, Western Reserve Hospital. “We have a similar display in the hospital for those who are undergoing chemotherapy, and the art has delighted our patients and guests. Now, we’re also able to share and celebrate our talented local artists with our neighbors and the community as a whole.”
Western Reserve Hospital is providing services by art curator Jessica Lofthus to select and hang the art pieces to create cohesive collections. Cuyahoga Valley Art Center has been procuring art works from their teachers, students, and local community members at large since their inception in 1934. The works have been stored within a large steel vault in the basement of their facility, a lasting remnant of the former bank. Art work will periodically be rotated out of City Hall and replaced with new works so that the community may continue to enjoy art, free of charge.